Thursday, December 26, 2013

Move


Several years ago, my friend Carol introduced me to the concept of “just one word.”  I had never heard of it before, but it seemed like a good idea.  Pick just one word and try and apply it to all areas of your life in the coming year.  So I’ve tried to do that every year.  To be honest, I always manage to pick a word.  And then I promptly forget it.  Every.  Single.  Year.  Without fail.  I could say that it’s because I’m getting older and my brain doesn’t work the way it used to, but I’ve always been like that.  I'll think of something, turn around twice (if even that), and I'll have forgotten everything.  I’m pretty like that.
This year, my word is “MOVE”.  I even got a nifty graphic, thinking maybe that will help me remember.  One word has so many different implications for me in 2014.  Certainly, I will move once Baby J has graduated from high school.  That’s been the plan for quite some time now.  I'll move home to keep an eye on my mother and Baby J will move into dorm life.  Of course, I hope to move towards better health and become physically active.  Less time on the couch and more time propelling my fabulosity to, well, anywhere that doesn’t require me to be in a prone, starfish-like position.  For me, it also means to move forward beyond past hurts and regrets.  I can’t change the things I’ve done, or the things that have been done to me, so why continue to let it take up valuable real estate in my head and heart?  I want to move past an occasional emotional maturity level of 12 and learn to let things go without seeking out voodoo dolls to extract revenge.  Life is what it is.  People are what they are.  And it’s not up to me to judge anybody for anything.  I don’t have to like someone or agree with their beliefs, political, spiritual or otherwise, but I do have to share space with them, so I may as well learn to smile, be polite, and just do me.  Spud is the best example of this.  I wanna be more like him.  
I want to move forward into the next phase of my life.  I’m middle aged (a concept which totally blows my mind).  I’m a grandmother to two amazing little pumpkins.  The last of my own baby birds will leave the nest in the fall (catapult herself is more like it).  Personally, I don’t think I’m ever going to really know who I am because, hopefully, I’m continually growing and evolving.  I have a pretty solid idea of who I am basically, but the extras are still in progress.  But it’s time for me to embrace who I am now and move on to the business of enjoying myself.  I have a curious little mother who longs to travel, so we will.  There are so many new things I want to learn how to do, so I will.  There are so many amazing friends that are always trying to draw me in and include me in their adventures, so I'll let them.

 I just have to move.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't going to attempt a word this year since, like you, I can't remember last years...and unless my word was doormat...than I didn't do it anyways! I will think about this today and play along!

    ReplyDelete